Rolex 24 At Daytona
2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance®/JDC-Miller MotorSports/ORECA/Gibson
8:41 am update 1/27/18
No. 99 Red Dragon™: Stephen Simpson, Misha Goikhberg, Chris Miller and Gustavo Menezes
Highest Race Position: 7th
Current Race Position: 7th
- Misha returns to the cockpit at 7am. Trouble free stint. Yellow flag for track repair…stayed and took the waive to get lap back.
- Trouble free and fast pace for Stephen Simpson from 5:30 – 7:00am. Yellow flag during stint, results in 99 making up lap. P.8
Stephen: “It hasn’t been the race we were dreaming of but in comparison…it’s been relatively smooth! I had an incident last night that was disappointing and cost us a lot of track time. The boys did a phenomenal job repairing the car, not sure a toe link could have been changed any faster. This morning I had a really couple of hours in the car. The whole team has done a great job, a very consistent performance and the car is very comfortable to drive. The hardest part in this last stint was visibility. I had a lot of oil on the windshield and even after cleaning it was very challenging. Fortunately, we have very good spotters that talk us through!”
- Gustavo runs four stints from 2:40-5:30, the combination of other competitors having problems a few clear, fast hours for No.99 pushes the Red Dragon through the field to p.9
Gustavo: “We’re running solid. We’ve had a few hiccups here and there, but the JDC boys have done a great job with the car. It feels good and so far, has been very reliable. I had a good run early this morning we were able to tick of competitive laps and make up some solid ground. I’m having a great time and can’t wait to get back out there. I had the rain yesterday and may get it today. The Continental rain tire is a lot different than what I am used to, but I love the challenge.”
- Chris Miller runs double sprint has cut tire on scheduled lap for pit. Turns car over to Gustavo Menezes at 2:40am p.13
- Clear triple stint for Misha Goikhberg p.14.
- Stephen Simpson had contact (car unknown) requiring a lengthy repair to the front toe link. Lost 8 laps. Turned the car over to Misha at 10:50 pm.
- Despite a brief downpour requiring a stop for rain tires, Menezes finished a clean double stint in 12th position, and turned the car over to Stephen Simpson.
- Chris Miller made progress immediately on the track and gained one position to 13th. Served a stop and go penalty for speeding in the pitlane. Lost one lap. Turned car over to Gustavo Menezes after double stint.
- Clean stint for Goikhberg. Slow pitstop dropped the Red Dragon one position. Goikhberg turned the car over to Chris Miller after double stint.
- Stephen Simpson started the race and passed Alonso on lap one. The duo continued to battle for position and the South African secured the spot and ran as high as 10th position before turning the car over to Misha Goikhberg in 12th position after double stint.
- Clear double stint for Misha Goikhberg